On Friday I celebrated my two-year blogiversary here at Life Without Baby. I kid you not. It’s been two whole years since I first posted a mission statement and set about talking about the unexpected situation of being without children.
So much has happened in these past two years, not least of which is that I’ve largely, although not totally, made peace with the hand I’ve been dealt. Not that it doesn’t give me an occasional wallop and not that I don’t get mad at the universe once in a while for screwing me out of motherhood, but on a day-to-day basis, I think I’m getting the hang of it.
For a long time I found myself blogging into the ether, rambling on and wondering if there was anyone at all out there like me. My good friend Kathleen would come to visit the blog and post a comment, so that I knew at least one person was out there. In the first month the blog had 84 visits and I was so pleased! Since then (and this number blows my mind) there have been almost 150,000 visits from 95 countries!! Ladies, we are officially an international community and I want to thank you all for that. You and your support have a lot to do with me being to write that I am largely at peace with not having children. Knowing I’m not alone and that there are other women who have made their way through this minefield has been such a huge help to me, and hope that knowledge will help those of you still struggling.
So, now for the really exciting news! I am extremely pleased to have been nominated for a Kreativ blog award. I want to send a big shout-out to Peaches, who was so kind to make the nomination. Please check out her very fun blog, Peaches – a sad comedy.
So, the rules of the award are that I have to share 7 interesting things about myself and share 7 of my favorite blogs. So here goes:
- I was born and raised in the north of England (Sheffield, once famous for making steel, now famous for being the hometown of Def Leppard and The Full Monty) but have lived in California since 1993.
- I have two engineering degrees (hey, wake up, this is supposed to be interesting) and now I’m a writer (and much happier for it.)
- I can recite the alphabet backwards.
- I’m trying to learn to play the bagpipes and relearn the trombone, neither of which is impressing my neighbors.
- I’ve run three marathons but can barely run to the end of the block these days.
- I once worked as a stand-in and foot-double for a famous actress.
- My two favorite movies are Some Like It Hot and Young Frankenstein.
And now for a few of my favorite bloggie people:
- Silent Sorority – Pamela’s blog is one of the first I found and she’s kind of who I want to be when I grow up.
- A Woman Without Children – Vicki is a wonderfully thoughtful blogger who writes about living a fertile life
- No Kidding in NZ – Mali always has something insightful to say
- Gateway Women – Jody is taking the UK by storm speaking up loud and clear for childfree women
- Maybe Baby, Maybe Not – I discovered Liz recently and I love her humor.
- Writing Time – Barbara’s blog is where I turn when I need creative writing inspiration.
- Creative (Un)block – Robi is my go-to gal for all things crafty
Thanks again for all your support over these past two years, and here’s to more great years ahead.