Sparked by a suggestion from Jennifer on yesterday’s post, Happily Childless, Not-So-Happily Infertile, I’ve decided to cut my body some slack. So, it didn’t do exactly what I wanted it to do. Like Jennifer said, maybe it did the best it could. In truth, my body has been good to me and even it would never win a medal in the Reproductive Olympics, it would at least make the team in other areas.
Here are my top ten things I love and appreciate about my body:
- It’s never had a major illness that’s caused me to be hospitalized or aggressively treated
- My immune system is a ninja when it comes to fighting colds and flus.
- My digestive system is built like a nuclear fallout shelter, allowing me to eat just about anything
- My brain can do a Sudoku or Ken-ken in pen
- My 40-year-old hair is still dark and shiny, except for a couple of grey rebels
- My shoulders are flexible enough that I can scratch my own back almost anywhere
- My legs can run, propel a bike, and do ten sets of stairs at the beach
- My boobs are closer to my chin than they are to my bellybutton
- My heart has the ability to swell to twice its normal size in the presence of someone I love
- My rump has superhuman magnetic powers for my husband’s hand
Be good to your body. Tell it (and us) what you love most about it.